Thursday, September 22, 2011

WISHES


Present Wishes

Present wishes indicate
something that is "contrary
to fact." That is, wishes are
something that is untrue but
desired. For example,
I wish that I had a sports car.
I wish that I were a doctor.
(The truth is I don't have a
sports car.)
(I 'm really not a doctor.)
For present wishes, the
past tense is used in the
that clause, because it
indicates a situation that is
only imagined. Sometimes
the word that is omitted.
She wishes (that ) she had a
diamond ring.
He wishes (that ) he were rich.
To express possibility (can)
and future intention (will) ,
use the modals could and
would respectively.
She wishes that she could
sing.
They wish that she would
stop .
When a "be" verb is
required, the word were is
used, regardless of the
subject.
We wish you were here.
I wish (that ) I were taller.
Textbook
Recommendation:
Touchy Situations , Chapter 19
If you have questions or
comments about this page,
please contact us .
Be sure to include the title of
this page in the Subject line
of your e-mail.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.4

No comments:

Post a Comment